Saturday, February 28, 2009

You can't have too many...






Actually you can. I've done it! I can't seem to be able to turn down a peony plant. I have 35 bushes in my garden. I'm crazy over them. Their form, their scent, their foliage, everything. I really love the pastel ones. They are such romantic flowers. They give the garden so much grace and loveliness. They mix into the the borders perfectly. When they are done with their amazing show they are happy to fade into the background the rest of the summer, letting their foliage compliment the other plants in the garden. Then, as if they haven't already done enough, they turn a beautiful color in the fall. I bring the blooms indoors by the armloads for arrangements around the house. They dry beautifully and I'm able to enjoy them all winter long. I have a particular one that drys in the vase without losing its petals. There is a picture of it dried in a tin pitcher in my post a few days ago. Its name is 'Auten's Pride' and it has the most intoxicating smell. It's a later bloomer and starts to bloom after most of my others are starting to fade. I have dried one's that I've kept for more than a year until they're so dusty they have to go. I'm sure this love affair with them will not end any time soon so I guess I'll just have to create another bed. Sorry honey!

5 comments:

Rose Garden Romantic said...

Hello!! Welcome to Blogland!! You have only started and what a gorgeous blog you have! Most of us have to work our way to such pretty blog! Love the pretty photos of your home and the peonies are gorgeous!! My favorite flower, after the rose!!
Michelle

Anonymous said...

YOUR BLOG IS GORGEOUS! THE PICS OF THE PEONIES REALLY GOT ME! I USED TO HAVE OVER 3000 BUSHES AS I RAISED THEM FOR THE CUT FLOWER MARKET, BOTH FRESH AND DRIED. SEEING YOUR GREAT PICS OF THEM TOOK ME BACK AND I COULD ACTUALLY CONJURE UP THEIR WONDERFUL AROMA. IT WILL BE OVER 2 MONTHS BEFORE WE SEE OUR PEONIES HERE IN ILLINOIS. I WILL LOOK FOR YOUR FUTURE BLOGS.

maryboys said...

i never realized peonies were so gorgeous - what a wonderful shape and color(s)!

Sharing with Sherri said...

June! These peonies are GORGEOUS!! and one of my faves. I bought a peony plant and the picture on the pkg. looked just like these you have pictured, but three years later when they finally matured they turned out bright pink with bright yellow centers... pretty but not like these pastel ones with lots of ruffles.

Your home and garden are so lovely, in all those soft pastel colors.

Sherri:)

maría cecilia said...

Hi June, your Peonies are amazing!!! love them. I have only six plants in a not so sunny place, and hope this year, their third one, they bloom a little bit more.
María Cecilia